We’re all used to the idea of decorating our homes. After all, who doesn’t love a trip to their nearest HomeGoods store to pick up yet another decorative vase or candle that you maybe-probably-definitely don’t actually need?
It’s interesting, then, that we don’t spend as much time considering the design of our home’s exterior. After all, if the inside of a house is a reflection of you and your style, why shouldn’t the outside be as well?
One of the best ways to boost your curb appeal is to install a new roof!
And no roofing style has quite as much, well…style as a tile roof. However, since it’s a semi-unusual roofing material, you may have your own set of questions, including:
- How much does a tile roof cost?
- What are the benefits of a tile roof?
- What does tile roof maintenance look like?
Keep reading to learn the answers to all of your questions and more!
Why Choose A Tile Roof?
Tile roofs aren’t the cheapest investment. So, what exactly makes them worth it?
The answer: lots of things! Here are just a few of the benefits of a tile roof:
- Longevity 👵🏼 – Unlike traditional asphalt shingles, which only last 15-20 years, a tile roof is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase that can last 50 years or more!
- Aesthetics ✨ – There’s simply no denying the beauty of a tile roof. They give a nice, finished look to your home while adding texture and charm.
- Versatility 🎨 – Roof tiles can be purchased in a wide range of colors and styles so that you can find one that works perfectly with your tastes.
- Strength 💪 – Tile roofs can withstand a variety of environmental conditions, including water, hail, fire, and pest damage.
- Sustainability 🌍 – Unlike many typical roofing products that are made from petroleum-based products, tiles are typically made from natural materials, making them a great choice for eco-conscious consumers.
6 Types of Roofing Tiles (Pros and Cons)
When it comes to choosing tile for your roof, it is important to research the different types in order to find the style that will work best for your home and lifestyle. Here are 6 types of roof tiles, as well as their pros and cons.
1) Clay Roof Tiles
When you think of roof tiles, you likely think of a clay tile roof. Typically seen on Spanish-style homes in the warmer states in the U.S., this type of tiled roof has a long history. They work well in wet climates and can last around 50 years.
- Can be purchased in different colors
- Prone to cracking and breaking
- Very heavy
- May require structural reinforcement
2) Slate Roof Tiles
Slate is arguably the most durable form of roofing material. Made of natural stone, it has a gorgeous appearance that shifts and changes as it ages. With proper roofing maintenance, your slate roof can last for well over 100 years!
- Will last a long time
- Can be purchased in various colors
- Very low maintenance
- Must be installed by a specialized roofing professional
- Extremely heavy – will need structural reinforcement
- Very expensive
3) Metal Roof Tiles
Metal roofing has been used for commercial buildings for years but has only recently become a popular choice for residential properties. These days, you can have all of the practical benefits of a metal roof with the beautiful look of tile.
- Can last over 50 years
- Simple maintenance
- Can be noisy
- Susceptible to damage from hail
- Not the best insulator
4) Concrete Roof Tiles
Like clay, concrete has a long and storied history in the roofing world. In fact, they can be dated back to the 19th century! These days, the technology for concrete tiles has grown to allow them to be made to look like wood, clay, and slate for a fraction of the cost.
- An affordable alternative
- Very durable
- Requires installation by a skilled roofing contractor
- Very heavy
5) Solar Roof Tiles
Solar roofing is becoming a popular choice for those who are interested in converting to green energy. While these tiles have a sleek look and will help you save money on your energy bills, they definitely stand out visually.
- Can help you save money
- Light weight
- Not aesthetically pleasing
- Requires specialized instruction
- Not the most durable
6) Composite Roof Tiles
Composite tiles are designed to mimic the look of popular tile materials while boosting the durability. They are made of a mix of natural elements as well as some man-made materials.
- Extra durable
- Cheaper to repair
- Can be purchased in a variety of styles
- Not as eco-friendly
Tips for Tile Roof Maintenance
While it’s easy to see the benefits of a tile roof, it’s hard to ignore the steep price tag. Many roofing styles can cost upward of $20,000, making it a huge investment. Naturally, you want to make sure that your roof is well cared for. Here are some of our tips for maintaining your roof:
- Schedule Regular Inspections – The best way to stop roofing issues is to have a licensed roofing contractor inspect your roof right away. They will be able to spot problem areas and offer solutions.
- Do an Annual Cleaning – Over the year, it can be easy for leaves, twigs, and other debris to build up on your roof. Roof cleaning is an essential part of roof maintenance and will ensure that water is able to flow down your roof. This can reduce your risk of water damage.
- Replace Broken Tiles – It can be easy to let a broken tile or two slide. After all, how much damage can one little crack do? Plenty, if left untreated. Even small cracks can allow water to damage your roof deck. Swift replacement will allow you to keep your roof intact and functional.
Get Help With Your Tile Roof Maintenance
Have questions about the proper care regimen for your roof? Let Monarch Roofing help! As your local roofing specialists, we can help you create a tile roof that you will love for years to come. Contact us today to get your instant roof quote!